Atlanta Fire & Rescue
Home FireRescue Atlanta Fire Rescue Department MenuCompany Information
Atlanta Fire Rescue Department History
The Atlanta Fire Rescue Department (AFRD) dates back to February 2, 1848, when the Atlanta City Council formed a committee to investigate a fire problem in the brand new town. Only a week later, residents were ordered to have fire buckets in their homes. It would take three more years and several serious fires before the Georgia General Assembly would approve a bill authorizing the formation of Atlanta Fire Company No. 1, which went into service on March 25, 1851.
“Atlanta Fire Company” is the original fire engine company in the city. It was chartered March 25, 1851 and went into operation as a volunteer company on April 4, 1852. Company One was housed at South Market near Alabama Street. On May 2, 1854, Atlanta Fire Company relocated to new quarters at 5 South Market Street (now Broad). April 4, 1866 saw the company move again, this time to 25 S. Market Street.
In 1857 the company re-chartered as Atlanta Fire Company No. 1 after Mechanic Company 2 was organized.
On December 22, 1858, there occurred an event that makes this a memorable and tragic date in the history of the early days of Atlanta fire companies. A fire broke out in a two-story frame building on the east side of Whitehall Street, just south of Alabama Street. One woman and two children lost their lives because of the lack of proper length ladder equipment. This became the first recorded fire in which lives were lost in Atlanta. A group of concerned citizens in the crowd rapidly made plans to organize a responding fire company devoted primarily to saving lives. Through their determination was born Atlanta's first Hook and Ladder Company. In the beginning ladders were stored at strategically located points and members of the Atlanta Hook and Ladder Company would respond and hand jack the ladders from their stored locations to the scene of the fire. This practice would continue until April 1859.
In 1859, the new ladder company located to a converted brick livery stable on the east side of S. Pryor St. between Alabama & Hunter Sts. The Atlanta Hook and Ladder Company No. 1 was granted an appropriation from city fathers to purchase a wagon designed as a ladder truck. It was a Babcock (Size B) Company Ladder Wagon and it arrived on November 28. Named “Old reliable”.
During the week of March 17, 1871, Atlanta Hook & Ladder Company No. 1 purchased a lot from Governor Joseph E. Brown on the west side of (28) South Broad Street, between Alabama Street and the bridge over the railroad. It was across from the existing fire house for Engine No.1 and next door to the Atlanta Constitution building. Hook & Ladder No. 1 was a separate company from Engine No. 1 with its own command staff.
On December 20, 1892, Engine Company 1 and Hook & Ladder Company 1 moved to 44 West Alabama Street, at the new Fire Department Headquarters. April 29, 1946, Engine Company 1 and Ladder Company 1 were dissolved as separate companies and merged as a double company with a Captain in charge and Lieutenant as second in command. They remained there until June 19, 1961, when they moved to 71 Elliot Street SW, their current location
Company One operates a 2014 Paramedic KME 1500 GPM pumper and a 2013 KME 101 Ft. Tractor Drawn Aerial. Station One is home to the Assistant Chief of Operations. They operate a 2013 Ford F250 Pickup Command Vehicle. Also housed are the 2007 Chevrolet C4500 Air Shuttle, 2015 Ford Transit 350 as DECON 1 and 2016 Kenworth/KME/Mako Mobile Breathing Air Supply as Air 7
Company Two was organized on December 10, 1856 as volunteer Mechanic Fire Company No. 2, located on South Collins Street south at the Georgia Railroad. On August 7, 1857, they relocated to new quarters at 2-4 Washington Street and Waverly Place. On February 10, 1906, the company moved to 29 Washington at Hunter Streets SW. All these houses were in downtown (CBD Central Business District). For several years Company 2 was disbanded. On January 2, 1939, Company Two moved to a Works Progress Administration (WPA) built the firehouse at 1361 Lakewood Avenue and McDonough Boulevard SE. Needing an additional truck company in southeast Atlanta a new two bay station was constructed at 1568 Jonesboro Road SE which opened on May 26, 1978.
Company Two operates a 2010 Paramedic KME 1500 GPM Pumper, a 2015 KME 101’ Tractor Drawn Aerial and Ford F250 Pickup as the Air Bag unit.
Company three was organized on February 22, 1859 as Tallulah Fire Company No. 3, covering the Walton St. and Broad St. area. Several moves later their last house was built in 1903 at 317 Marietta St. NW and Latimer St. NW. Station 3 was closed in 1976 due to budget cuts. The building was sold, and old No. 3 no longer stands. New Station 3, sixth location was built in 1993 and until 2018 was located in the parking deck of Phipps Plaza at 3500 Peachtree Road NW. A retail building, the parking deck they were under are soon to be demolished for more skyscrapers. A new Station 3, seventh location was placed in service at 18:30 hours on Saturday December 15, 2018 behind the old station addressed at 800 Longleaf Drive NE.
Company Three operates a 2001 Spartan/Quality 1500 GPM pumper. Also housed at Station Three is the 2008 4900 International Fire Mobile Command vehicle.
Company Four was organized on April 5, 1871 in a new fire hall was built at 91 Stephens Street (W. Fair Street). In 1882, the department became paid and Co. 4 was disbanded due to owed debts. Company 4 would reorganize on June 1, 1887 in a new single bay station two story brick house at No. 85-87 North Pryor Street NE. Station Four would again relocate to a new three bay station at 125 Ellis St on April 1, 1959. That station was sold, and Station No. 4 moved in April 2001 to its current location at 309 Edgewood Avenue NE. Station Four operates Atlanta’s Haz-mat/Heavy Rescue team, Squad 4.
Squad operates a 2017 KME Predator Heavy Rescue/Hazard Materials.
Fire Company was originally chartered October 15, 1871 as “Gate City Fire Company No. 5”. Its original quarters were at Marietta & Foundry Streets in a stable until suitable quarters could be erected at 28 E. Foundry Street in Ward 6. Company Five was disbanded on June 30, 1882 when the city created the paid fire department. Five was reorganized on December 1, 1890 and was quartered at 44 W. Peters Street. On July 1, 1927, a new station was built on the same site at the new address 278 Trinity Avenue SW and the company remained there until July 17, 1965. Station 5 was again relocated, this time to 414 Central Avenue at Alice Street SW. On June 30, 1984, Company Five was again disbanded due to Georgia DOT needing the station for Interstate widening. Company 5 would form Squad 5 based at Station No.1. On June 10, 1991, Company Five was reorganized at its current location 2825 Campbellton Road SW as an engine company. Batallion 4 operates from that station.
Paramedic Company Five operates a 2020 KME 1500 GPM pumper. Battalion Four is also housed at Station Five which operates a 2013 Ford F250 Pickup Command Vehicle.
Old Station 6 is with the US Park Service as a museum.
Company Six was organized as Blue Eagle Fire Company No. 6, an all-African-American fire company, to protect the Woodward Avenue SE area on March 28, 1879. The all-volunteer company was quartered at Connelly Street and Jones Ave, (now Woodward Ave SE), to protect Summerhill. When the paid fire department was organized on June 1, 1882, the company was disbanded. On May 31, 1894, Company Six was reorganized and quartered at 111 North Boulevard, in the 4th Ward (later 39 Boulevard NE 1927). On March 3, 1991, due to deteriorating building conditions, Engine Six was relocated to Station Four at 125 Ellis Street NE. Then in April 2001 they relocated to 309 Edgewood Avenue at Fort Street SE along with Squad Four. An intensive renovation of 1894 Station Six (39 Boulevard, NE) was conducted by the National Park Service and the building is now part of the Martin L. King Jr. Historical Site. There are hopeful plans to turn it into the Atlanta Fire Department Museum.
Paramedic Company six operates a 2014 KME 1500 GPM pumper.
Station No. 7 was opened on May 31, 1894 on the east side of the Central of Georgia railroad at 7 James Street SW annexed in 1866. Over the years this street was renamed to Benjamin and then Tift Street SW. Industry needed more land, so the fire station was relocated to its present location at 535 West Whitehall Street at Oak Street SW on December 10, 1910, annexed in 1894. The Station closed in 2008 due to budget cuts. In 2013, funds were approved to renovate the Station and former Drill Tower. Per Fire Chief Randall Slaughter, Paramedic Engine Company 7 was reorganized and placed in service at 7:44 am on Friday, August 26, 2018, with their original 2001 Spartan-Quality engine.
Seven currently houses Paramedic Engine 7 operating a 2001 Spartan/Quality 1500 GPM pumper and the EMS Supervisor operating a 2014 Ford F250 Pickup.
Company Eight was organized on March 15, 1897 with quarters located at 50 Church Street, later renamed 176 Carnegie Way NW, about 1905 in the Central Business District (downtown) of Atlanta. On November 10, 1969, Company 8 was the third company to move out of the downtown area as responses got better due to faster-motorized apparatus coming to the department and at the recommendation of the National Board of Fire Underwriters (NBoFU). This to provide fire protection to the Chattahoochee Industrial District. Company Eight was relocated to 1711 Marietta Boulevard at Carroll Drive NW at its present site in Hills Park and covers Bolton (1893), Blandtown, Howell Station, and Inman Yards.
Company Eight operates a 2001 Spartan/Quality 1500 GPM pumper and Battalion Two is house at Station Eight is which operates a 2013 Ford F250 Pickup.
Company Nine was organized on August 4, 1904 at 441(*623) Central Avenue at Glenn Street SW. * Renumbering to the quadrant system in 1927. Due to Station 5 being relocated to 414 Central Ave SW, on June 5, 1967, Company Nine was relocated to 3501 MLK Jr. Drive (Gordon Rd.) located in Adamsville. ADAMSVILLE, Fulton County. Now part of Atlanta, this former community was believed named for an early settler called Adams. It was recorded that G.W. Adams was a farmer here in 1882. This place was previously called LICK SKILLET. It was given its present name in 1906. Old station 9 was demolished. Truck 9 and Rescue 9 also operated out of Station 9. Over the years both were relocated or disbanded leaving only an Engine company operating out of the station.
Paramedic Company Nine operates a 2016 KME 1500 GPM pumper
Company Ten was organized on March 10, 1906 and was located at 155 Oakland Avenue SE. Construction of Interstate 20 claimed this firehouse. 1927, the address changed to 405 Oakland Ave., S.E. when the quadrant direction system was instituted. On March 23, 1959, the company relocated to 447 Boulevard at Glenwood Avenue SE at its present location.
Ten operates a 2017 KME 1500 GPM pumper and a 2015 KME 101 Ft. Tractor Drawn Aerial.
Battalion Five is also housed at Station Ten is which operates a 2013 Ford F250 Pickup Command Vehicle
The original Station 11 was opened on May 1, 1908 at 22 East North Avenue, later 30 North Ave NE in 1927. Structural problems with the 1908 building would cause Station 11 to close and the company was disbanded. The building was used as a Pub during the 1996 Summer Olympics. After a short closure it was reopen as a Pub. Company 11 remained closed until being re-opened January 2, 2010 as a temporary company and was reorganized as a full duty Engine and Truck Company in a new Fire Station on August 2nd, 2010 at 165 16th Street NW in Home Park at Atlantic Station on the former grounds of Atlantic Steel Mills.
Company Eleven operates with a 2008 KME 1500 GPM pumper, 2009 Pierce 100’ Rear-mount Ladder Tower and a 2008 Ford W362 100 GPM Mini-Pumper for parking decks. The Swift Water/Dive Team operates a 2015 Ford F250 Pickup with a boat trailer and 2 boats and 2015 Kubota 4-wheel drive ATV.
Battalion 3
Company Twelve was organized to protect the neighborhoods of Inman Park, Candler Park and Reynoldstown opening on February 1, 1911 as a engine and ladder company with the first motorized pumping engine a 1911 Webb piston 750GPM and a 2-horse AFD ladder truck No. 6. Their original fire house was at 1021 DeKalb Avenue at Moreland(former County Line Road). In 1927 the renumbering of No. 12 House changed the address to 1166 Dekalb Avenue NE, which was torn down for the Moreland Avenue-Georgia Railroad underpass. They moved east three blocks to 1288 DeKalb Avenue NE at their current location on March 19, 1959.
Company Twelve operates a 2001 Spartan/Quality 1500 GPM pumper and a 2017 KME 101 Ft. Tractor Drawn Aerial.
Engine Thirteen was organized on Sept 1, 1921 and was housed at 447 Flat Shoals Avenue SE in the current East Atlanta Village. In 2010 the old single bay station was replaced with the current fire house right across Metropolitan Ave SE and Company 13 is now at 431 Flat Shoals Ave SE.
Paramedic Company Thirteen operates a 2001 Spartan/Quality 1500 GPM pumper and the Mass Decontamination Containment system using a 2012 Freightliner M2106 4 door cab tractor/Advanced Containment System trailer. This rig operates with Decon 1 and Squad 4.
Company 14 opened as a single engine house on May 17, 1913 located at 451 Lee Street after Oakland City and Bush Mountain was absorbed into Atlanta. In 1927 the quadrant numbering system change the address to 1203 Lee Street SW. A new two-bay fire station was built on the same property in 2001. Station 14 was the first firehouse specifically built for motorized fire apparatus. An interesting note is that firehouse legend has it that Station Fourteen was really the thirteenth firehouse built, but because of superstition, was christened as Station Fourteen.
Company Fourteen operates a 2014 KME 1500 GPM pumper and 2014 KME 101 Ft. Tractor Drawn Aerial.
Engine Fifteen was originally organized on December 19, 1914 to protect what today is the Midtown area. Their first station was at 720 (*1202) West Peachtree Street NW. * In 1927 the quadrant numbering system change the address to 1202 West Peachtree Street NW. On October 29, 1986, company fifteen relocated to its present location 176 10th Street NE on the site of the fire destroyed Clark Howell Elementary School and the 1914 No. 15 House was torn down.
Company Fifteen operates a 2015 Paramedic KME 1500 GPM pumper and a 2015 101 Ft. Tractor Drawn Aerial. Also housed at Station Fifteen is Battalion Three which operates 2013 Ford F250 Pickup Command Vehicle
Company Sixteen was organized on April 1, 1915 in a two-bay station located at 824 Marietta Street near Boss Street NW in the Bellwood District. The privately-owned building still stands and is a restaurant in 2018. On April 1, 1963 Company Sixteen relocated to its present firehouse at 1048 Joseph E. Boone Boulevard NW (Simpson Rd.) at Flowers Place. The First African-American Firefighters were hired and assigned to Station 16, The opening of this station also was historic in that sixteen African-American firemen started their careers on the Atlanta Fire Department.
Company Sixteen operates a 2013 Paramedic KME 1500 GPM pumper and a 2013 KME 101 Ft. Tractor Drawn Aerial.
Company Seventeen was organized on February 15, 1921 to cover the western section of West End from their single door station at 1384 Gordon Street SW. That old firehouse still stands in 2024. In 1976, Company Seventeen was disbanded, due to budget cuts. Engine and Truck 17 were reorganized on October 14, 1987 and housed at its present location at 1489 Ralph David Abernathy Boulevard SW (Gordon St.).
Company Seventeen was reduced to a single engine house in 2001 when the aerial truck was relocated to become Truck 14.
Company Seventeen operates a 2017 Paramedic KME 1500GPM pumper and a 2009 International Collapse Rescue Truck with Supply Trailer.
What would become Company 18 started life as the City of Kirkwood Volunteer Department. On May 2, 1923, the KVFD was disbanded to become part of Atlanta Fire. Company Eighteen was then located at 106 Kirkwood Road NE in the old Kirkwood water works pumping station until February 6, 1941. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built a new one bay station and Company 18 was moved to 2007 Oakview Road SE. In June of 2010, station 18 was torn down and a new two-bay station was build in the same location. While the new house was being built, Engine 18 was housed and operated from a Mobile home style structure located not far from the Station.
Company Eighteen operates a 2017 KME 1500 GPM pumper Engine
Engine Nineteen was organized on June 1, 1925 to serve the Virginia-Highland area, Morningside and Orme Park areas. Engine 19 continues to run out of its original House located at 1069 Highland Avenue. In 1927 the quadrant system was instituted and the address changed to 1063 North Highland Avenue NE. Company 19 holds the honor of being the oldest continuously operated fire station in the city.
Company Nineteen operates a 2017 KME 1500 GPM pumper.
Engine Twenty was organized on December 11, 1926 to protect the Capital View area of South West Atlanta. The engine continues to run from its original house at 590 Dill Avenue. In 1927 the address was changed to 590 Manford Road SW.
Company Twenty operates a 2015 KME 1500 GPM pumper
Company Twenty-One started as Fulton County Fire Station No 1 on June 27, 1931 and was located at 245 Buckhead Avenue (Sims Ave.) in Buckhead Community of unincorporated Fulton County. This station was the result of discussions between Atlanta Chief William B. Cody and Fulton County to build, equip and for AFD to administer Station 21 by the Atlanta Fire Chief. Atlanta annexed Buckhead on January 1, 1952 and the address was changed to 248 Buckhead Avenue NE. On September 21, 1984, the company relocated to its present location at 3201 Roswell Road NE.
Company Twenty-One operates a 2017 Paramedic KME 1500 GPM pumper, 2017 KME 101 Ft. Tractor Drawn Aerial, Georgia Search and Rescue 6 which is a 2004 Spartan/Rosenbauer Tractor Drawn Apparatus and Trail King Compartment trailer and Ford Air Bag unit. Battalion Six is housed at Station Twenty-One and operates a 2013 Ford F250 Pickup Command Vehicle.
Fire Station 22 was constructed by the Works Progress Administration(WPA) and was organized as Fulton County Station No. 2 at 4 Hollywood Road on January 21, 1939. The Plan of Improvement of January 1, 1952 saw Fulton Station 2 absorbed into the Atlanta Fire Department and renamed Engine 22. The street number was changed to the current address of 817 Hollywood Road NW after the 1952 annexation. Construction of the new Station 22 started in 2022 and is estimated to be opened in 2024 at 849 Hollywood, NW.
Company Twenty-Two operates a 2010 KME 1500 GPM Pumper
Battalion 2
Station 23 was originally Fulton County Station No. 3 opened on May 11, 1948, located at 1545 Howell Mill Road. As part of the Plan of Improvement, on January 1, 1952, Station Three was absorbed into the Atlanta Fire Department and renamed Engine No. 23. They remain in the 1948 vintage fire station.
Paramedic Company Twenty-Three operates a 2017 KME 1500 GPM pumper and a 2008 Ford W362 Mini-Pumper for parking decks
Station No 24 was originally Fulton County Fire Station 4 and is the original fire station protecting aircraft operations at Candler Field from September 1, 1947. Today we know this area as Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport. The station has been relocated on the airfield several times since built by the U.S. Government during World War II. Company 24 currently operates from a large fire station on the northeast corner of the field at 3300 North Loop Road, Hapeville GA.
Airport Station 24 operates a 2013 KME 1500 GPM pumper as Engine 24, 2014 KME 101 Ft. Tractor Drawn Aerial as Truck 47, 2017 KME Heavy Rescue/ Haz-Mat as Squad 42, 2013 International/Braun Ambulance as Medic 4, ARFF 1 - 2022 ROSENBAUER PANTHER 6X6 Station 24 and ARFF 2 - 2022 ROSENBAUER PANTHER 6X6 HRET Station 24
Company Twenty-Five was originally organized as Fulton County Fire Station Five on April 3, 1949 at 2346 Sewell Road. On January 1, 1952, the Cascade Heights area was brought into the city and Fulton County Station 5 became Atlanta Fire Station Twenty-Five. The 1948 vintage fire house is original to the fire company at 2349 Benjamin E. Mays Drive SW (Sewell Road at Beecher Road SW) after the 1952 annexation. Future plans are to replace this house, plans are pending for 2025-26.
Company Twenty-Five operates a 2020 KME 1500 GPM pumper and a 2020 KME 90 Ft. Mid-mount aerial.
Company Twenty-Six was organized on October 29, 1954 at its current location 2970 Howell Mill at Moores Mill Roads NW which was annexed into Atlanta in 1952. Plans are pending to replace the station in 2026-27.
Company Twenty-Six operates a 2020 Paramedic KME 1500 GPM pumper and a 2020 KME 90 Ft. Mid-mount aerial.
Engine Twenty-Seven was organized on March 16, 1953 and is in its original location at 4260 Northside and West Conway Drives NW. The property was annexed into Atlanta in 1952. In 2008 the station was adopted and renovated by the Mount Paran-Northside Citizens Association. This work was completed in late 2009.
Company Twenty-Seven operates a 2001 Spartan/Quality 1500 GPM pumper and a 2007 F250 as a Hose Tender.
On April 9, 1954 the community of Riverside received Station No. 28 as its new fire company at 2040 Main Street at Church Street NW. In the spring of 2013, Company 28 moved to new quarters at 1931 Hollywood Road and Felker Ward Drive NW. The new station also houses an Atlanta Police mini precinct.
Company Twenty-Eight operates a 2013 KME 1500 GPM pumper and a 2014 KenworthT880/KME 3000 GPM 2000 gallon foam tank, Foam Tender 28.
Company Twenty-Nine was organized on November 13, 1958 and remains in its original location at 2167 Monroe Drive NE (former Plaster Avenue). To better balance coverage Ladder 19 was disbanded in 1965 and transferred to Station 29 and organized to become Truck 29.
Company Twenty-Nine operates a 2020 KME 1500 GPM pumper and a 2020 KME 90 Ft. Mid-mount aerial.
Engine Company Thirty was organized on August 19, 1956 at its current location at 10 Cleveland Avenue SW. Replacing the station is on the list of the Renew Atlanta Bond Issue that was passed in March 2015, plans are pending for 2026-27.
Paramedic Company Thirty operates a 2017 KME 1500 GPM pumper and Battalion 1 operates from Station 30 and runs with a 2015 Ford F250 Pickup Command Vehicle.
Engine 31 organized on July 1, 1956 before their fire station was completed. They were housed at the former Georgia Forestry Station on Campbellton Road SW near Fairburn Rd SW. Thirty-one moved into their current station at 2406 Fairburn Road SW on February 13, 1957. They now have a huge response area due to recent annexing and provide protection for the Ben Hill area of southwest Atlanta. Company 31 was disbanded on December 1, 2023 and opened as Company 36 located at a new station at 2511Fairburn Road and Arlington School Drive SW , see Company 36. However, Station 31 is to be replaced with a new house. Plans are pending. However, a new reorganized Fire Company 31 is about to receive a new Station, sometime in 2026-27.
Company Thirty-One operates a 2017 KME 1500 GPM pumper and a 2020 KME 90 Ft. Mid-mount aerial.
Station 32 originated when Fulton County contracted with the City of Atlanta to man the fire stations in the Sandy Springs Fire Protection District on April 11, 1955. Full manning was authorized for a single engine on April 1, 1959 in a one bay station on Sandy Springs Place NE. Due to the area growth a larger station was needed, and Engine and Ladder 32 moved to 135 Johnson Ferry Road NE on February 2, 1970. Company 32 was disbanded when Fulton County formed their own fire department January 1, 1978. Company 32 was reorganized at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport on November 18, 1982. There are plans to relocate Station 32 in the near future but at the end of 2018 they are in the end of the main terminal building at 8500 North Terminal Road SW.
Company 32 operates a 2013 KME 1500 GPM ALS pumper, 2019 Rosenbauer -6x6 3000-s ARFF 4, 2018 Rosenbauer Panther-HRET ARFF 3, 2021 International/Braun TYPE-1 Ambulance Medic 1, MEDIC 6 - 2024 FORD TRANSIT 4X2 TYPE 2 AMBULANCE Station 32 2022 Ford F350 250 GPM Mini-Pumper as MP44. 2020 KME-KW Foam 2000 GallonTender 1
Company 33 was organized under contract with Fulton County to protect the Mount Paran area going in operation in Atlanta Station 27 on June 1, 1960. Engine 33 would later move in with Company 32 on 135 Johnson Ferry Road NE on February 23, 1970 only to be disbanded when the county formed their own department in 1978 Current Company Thirty-Three was organized on May 12, 2006 to cover the new 5th runway No. 10 - 28 at Hartsfield- Jackson Atlanta International Airport.
Company Thirty-Three operates ARFF 5 - 2022 ROSENBAUER PANTHER 6X6 Station 33
ARFF 6 - 2022 ROSENBAUER PANTHER 6X6 Station 33 2009 Pierce 85’ Rear-mount Quint as Truck 43 (Reserve) 2018 Kenworth T300/KME/Mako Air Supply Air 1, EMS Captain assigned a 2002 Ford Excursion SUV 1993 Chevy Kodiak 1000 Gallon Foam Tender 47(Reserve)
2019 Freightliner/Danko 2000 Gallon Foam Tanker 7, Station 33 Foam 1 - 2020 KME FOAM PUMPER 2000 Gallon Station 33 1995 Freightliner 70/Hackney Mass Casualty 46 2003 Chevrolet 3500 Medic Bus Mass Casualty
MEDIC 7 - 2024 FORD TRANSIT 4X2 TYPE 2 AMBULANCE Station 33
Company Thirty-Four originally was organized as a fire company contracted to provide service to Fulton County in the Fulton Industrial area on May 17, 1967. On December 31, 1977 the company was disbanded when the county created their own fire department. On April 10, 1989 the company was reorganized at its present location 3671 Southside Industrial Parkway SE (former Poole Creek Road).
Company Thirty-Four operates a 2001 Spartan/Quality 1500 GPM pumper 2013 Freightliner/Thomas/Sarin Mobile Ambulance Bus as MAB-1.
Company 35 has always been on the east end of the massive Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport and close to respond to the large Delta Air Lines Technical Operations center and the US Post office operations in service on October 23, 1969. Their current 1992 station is at 2150 Central Cargo Circle.
Station 35 operates with equipment assigned as follows; 2013 KME 1500 GPM pumper, Engine 35 2018 Rosenbauer Panther 6x6 HRET ARFF 8 2019 Rosenbauer 6x6 3000-Standard ARFF 7, 2022 International Type 1 Ambulance as Medic 2 2023 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV Command Vehicle as Battalion 7 2017 Ford Transit 350 HD1 Command Van 2002 Spartan/Quality 1500 GPM pumper (Reserve)
Originally opened in the North Fulton County area of North Springs. It opened on February 2, 1970 at 1425 Spalding Drive and Robert Road, NE. It was disbanded by the City of Atlanta when Fulton County organized their own Fire Department in 1978. Company Thirty-Six was re-organized on September 30, 2006 due to annexing land into the City of Atlanta from unincorporated Fulton County. This new company was temporarily located at 1371 Kimberly Road SW and operated a 1997 Quality/Spartan 1500 GPM pumper, former Engine 21.
Company 36 was closed in March 2011. The territory of Company 36 was covered under an automatic aide agreement with Fulton County Fire Station 23, now South Fulton City Engine 2.
This new Station 36 at 2511Fairburn Road and Arlington School Drive SW, on 3.30 acres opened on December 1, 2023. This territory also includes the Ben Hill, Greenbriar, Mount Gilead, Bonnybrook, Western Estates (annexed 1958), Heritage Valley, Utoy Springs, Continental Colony, Tell and Niskey Lake districts.
Company Thirty-six operates a 2017 KME 1500 GPM pumper and a 2020 KME 90 Ft. Mid-mount aerial.
On April 1, 1969, also saw Fulton County Fire Station No. 34 become home to newly organized Engine 37 that was equipped with a 1969 Ward La France 1000 GPM Ambassador engine. The Company was disbanded when the Fulton County Fire Department organized on December 31, 1977.
Ground was broken at the end of 2021 for a brand-new fire rescue station for AFRD. EMS Station 37, at 4531 Campbellton Rd., SW, is the City of Atlanta's first EMS only medical station. The new station opened on January 30, 2024 is staffed by a Civilian A-EMT’s and Paramedics, and houses an ambulance and an EMS Quick Intervention Crew (QIC) equipped with a Pickup truck with a camper top. The new station addresses the critical need for enhanced emergency medical services in the city. This new station is strategically located in the Southwest Atlanta community where the majority of 911 dispatched calls are for health-related incidents.
Due to Engine 37 being housed at Station 34, from 1969-1977, this is its first standalone station. The apparatus does respond in Niskey Lake, Kings Forrest, Heritage Valley, Campbellton, Greenbriar, Camp Creek and Ben Hill.
EMS Company 37 operates a 2022 Chevrolet Pickup truck QIC 4 Response (Pending) 2022 Ford T250 Type II Ambulance as Medic 37
Company Thirty-Eight, was organized on August 19, 1972 at 2911 Bankhead Highway (Bellwood Avenue 1904)NW, (now Donald Lee Hollowell Parkway NW 1998). The lot was part of the 1952 Plan of Improvement annexation of the northwest section and was built to comply with recommendation of the American Insurance Association (NBoFU). Ladder 9 was disbanded and relocated to become Truck 38 at the new firehouse and a new engine company was organized.
Company Thirty-Eight operates a 2015 Paramedic KME 1500 GPM pumper 2016 KME 101 Ft. Tractor Drawn Aerial.
As with Station 35, Company 40 has basically been in the same spot on the southside of the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport ever since the company was formed on September 11, 1975. Station 40 is located about midway east to west on the south side of Runway 9 – 27. The airport equipment apparatus maintenance area is also in this general area of 4600 ASR Road. Station 40 was closed and the ARFF rigs moved to other Airport houses in 2018-19 and to accommodate more airport expansion, the old No. 40 was torn down in 2018. A new Station 40 was constructed on basically the same location as the previous No. 40 and opened in May of 2020.
Station 40 operates with equipment assigned as follows; 2013 KME 1500 GPM pumper, 2018 Rosenbauer Panther 3000 HRET ARFF 10 2019 Rosenbauer 3000-S ARFF 9 2013 International/Braun Ambulance as Medic 3, 2009 Pierce 85’ Rear-mount Quint as Truck 41 2002 Chevrolet Van HAZMAT 2 2006 Ford Stair Truck 48
